Vanguard (Lagos)

6 July 2014

Nigeria: Kaduna Violence - Over 150,000 Flee

Not less than 150,000 villagers have fled their villages in Sanga Local Government Area, LGA, of Kaduna State after four days of attacks, last week, by alleged Fulani armed men on native Ninzom communities left about 200 dead.

In a show of goodwill to the resident Fulani in affected communities, the National President of Ninzom Progressive Youths (NPY), Mr Bezard Wuyah, yesterday, appealed to them to return and gather their herd roaming about in bushes and destroying crops on farms. He also said that no youths from Ninzom land should tamper with any cow or sheep belonging to the Fulani.

Meanwhile, the Oegworok (Chief) of Kagoro, Chairman, Southern Kaduna Traditional Council, yesterday, refused to receive thousands of mourning Southern Kaduna youths, who visited his palace in Kagoro to deliver a letter of protest to him, over the killings in Southern Kaduna.

Leader of Gurara Forum, Mr Vincent Bodam, who led a coalition of Southern Kaduna youth groups under the banner of Concern Southern Kaduna Youths, addressed the media outside the palace of Oegworok after waiting in vain for the chief.

Said Bodam: "On March 14, 2014, Fulani militia invaded Tekum, Sankwai and Anguwan Gata villages, all in Bodon District, Moroa chiefdom, Kaura LGA of Kaduna State. The casualties which have been well documented show that 147 persons, mostly women and children, were killed. Three churches were burnt alongside 285 homes. The injured were put at 120 with about 67 sustaining permanent disabilities. The net worth of damages is put at N800 million. The evidence that the suspected perpetrators are Fulani is that among the attackers killed in self-defence, two were identified to be those who have lived and well known around Manchok area.

"The latest is the invasion of Numana chiefdom by Fulani militias in which, mainly Ninzo, Nandu, Gwantu and Gwandara natives in Sang LGA were massacred in indescribable manner from June 25, to the time of writing this letter.

"In Fadan Karshi, 37 persons were killed, 55 injured two homes were burnt.

The casualty in Ambe records 40 killed, 102 injured, and the whole town of about 400 homes, and 50 shops with three churches all burnt.

"Kobin, which was attacked in broad daylight was left to mourn 31 deaths, 92 injured.

"Sabon Gida recorded 11 deaths, 21 injured but no home was burnt."

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2014 Vanguard. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.