Brussels — The Council of the European Union announced on Thursday it would impose sanctions against two military generals responsible for obstructing the South Sudan peace process, which is being mediated by the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD).
"Two persons responsible for violating the ceasefire agreement will be targeted with a travel ban and a freeze of their assets in the European Union. At the same time, an existing arms embargo against South Sudan will remain in place," said a statement released by the EU.
However, the Council did not disclose the names of the two targeted generals saying the details of its decision will be published in Friday's edition of the EU Official Journal.
In a separate declaration, the EU termed these restrictive measures as "a first step" and called on the warring parties to reach a peaceful solution to the six month conflict.
"It is now time for the South Sudanese leaders to rise to the challenge and start negotiating in good faith towards a peaceful, equitable and sustainable solution," the declaration said.
On 7 May, US Secretary of State John Kerry imposed sanctions on two military one from the government side and one from the rebel group.
The commander of the presidential guard unit Marial Chanuong, and rebel general Peter Gadet were described by the American Administration as "responsible for perpetrating unthinkable violence against civilians".
In line with this decision, Washington decided to freeze any assets the two military may have in the United States and preventing American companies from dealing with them. They also are banned from travelling to the US.
The IGAD mediators decided last month to suspend the peace talks following a decision by the SPLM In Opposition led by Riek Machar to boycott the negotiations.