Voice of America (Washington, DC)

22 July 2014

Congo-Kinshasa: Troops Repel Attack On Kinshasa Military Base

Gunmen attacked a military camp in the Democratic Republic of Congo's capital on Tuesday, but the government says the situation was quickly brought under control.

In an interview with VOA's French to Africa Service, government spokesman Lambert Mende said a "small band" of attackers tried to enter Camp Tshatshi in Kinshasa but were stopped.

He said authorities have not yet determined whether the attackers were "terrorists or thieves."

A written message on DRC state television told viewers there was "no need to panic." Mende said troops were patrolling the city to reassure citizens.

Gunmen loyal to an evangelical Christian pastor who is opposed to President Joseph Kabila assaulted the same base and briefly captured the state TV station in December of last year. The government said more than 100 people were killed as its forces repelled those attacks.

Political tension has been rising in the DRC amid speculation that President Kabila may try to change the constitution and run for a third term in 2016.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2014 Voice of America. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.