THE Siaya government has sacked more than 100 casual workers via SMS. However, the county Public Service Board chairman Joe Donde said the workers had been given adequate notice.
"The affected workers were given a 90-day notice and they will leave by September. Workers in all subcounties are affected," Donde said yesterday. The 100 employees are drawn from Bondo and Rarieda subcounties and have been working for the now defunct county councils.
Led by their secretary Isaiah Achila, the workers stormed the Bondo subcounty offices on Friday, demanding for official directions. They said they got SMS texts terminating their services.
Achila said since the introduction of the county system of governance, they have been getting late payments. He said they were recently made to sign a two-month contract for June and July that elapsed yesterday and until now, no one has given them any communication concerning their jobs.
Chairperson Thomas Ochieng and treasurer Esther Achieng said they read mischief in the manner in which the whole issue is being handled. They said other subcounties got a much fairer treatment after most of them were absorbed on permanent basis and the others on contract are still working. The workers have threatened to seek legal redress in the courts if their demands are not addressed.