8 August 2014

Malawi: LDF Releases K74 Million for Public Works Programme in CZ

Chiradzulu — About 15,895 people in Chiradzulu are expected to benefit from Public Works Programme (PWP) following the release of K74 million to Chiradzulu District council by Local Development Fund (LDF).

Director of Planning and Development, Morson Magombo, disclosed this Wednesday at the Boma during DEC meeting. The targeted beneficiaries will work for 12 days in various projects and each beneficiary will receive k300 per day.

Magombo said the people engaged in this programme would be the same beneficiaries who worked in the same programme last year.

"New beneficiaries will not be recruited for the programme this time around," emphasized Magombo.

He mentioned road rehabilitation, land conservation, afforestation and fish ponds construction as some of the projects to be implemented across the district.

Magombo, therefore, urged the sectors involved to show commitment to ensure that the projects are of good quality.

The implementation of the project will start in the second week of August (2014) in which 244 kilometers of feeder roads will be rehabilitated and 2077 hectors of land conserved.

At least 80 per cent of the money (K74 million) would go towards the wages while the remaining 20 per cent would carter for administration cost and buying of project implements such as hoes and wheelbarrows.

PWP was introduced by government to enable poor households to earn money to buy necessities such as farm inputs.


Zambia Disqualified From Cosafa Over Age-Cheating

Zambia have been disqualified from the 2016 COSAFA Under-17 Championships being staged in Mauritius having been found to… Read more »

Copyright © 2014 Malawi News Agency. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 1,000 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.