Vanguard (Lagos)

15 August 2014

Nigeria: FG Sacks 16,000 Resident Doctors

Photo: Premium Times
Hospitals are short-staffed (file photo).

The Federal Government has sacked all resident doctors in the country indefinitely.

The doctors had been on an indefinite nationwide strike since July 1, in protest of Federal Government's non-implementation of some agreements it had with the union.

Other demands included immediate appointment of a Surgeon-General of the Federation and increase of hazard allowance to N100,000 monthly.

The doctors were also demanding reservation of the position of the chief medical director for medical doctors only.

The Federal Government, in a circular dated August 13, 2014, signed by L. N. Awute, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health, on behalf of the minister directed the suspension of residency training programme for doctors in the country, and termination of appointment of all resident doctors to enable the government appraise the challenges facing the sector.

The government, in the circular, entitled "Re: Presidential directive suspending residency programme in Nigeria," directed the hospital boards of management to take all necessary measures to immediately restore full medical services.

The circular, however noted that "this is without prejudice to the employment of Locum Physicians on six months renewable contract, tied to productivity and good behaviour."

The locum appointments, the circular stated, were to be approved by the president through the minister of health.

Reacting to the sack order, chairman, National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD), Dr Jubril Abdullai, said the decision was illegal, adding that the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA) would take appropriate steps as regards the sitution.

According to him, it was an act of law that set up residency training programme in Nigeria, adding that for the country to abolish it, legal steps had to be taken.

He noted that an emergency meeting had just been held with the national body of doctors, adding that "I can bet it with you that this is just the beginning of the strike."

Also, vice president of Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), Dr Titus Ibekwe, while speaking with Nigerian Tribune, said the association was in a meeting to discuss the issue.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2014 Vanguard. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.

InFocus

Nigerian Govt Sacks Striking Doctors

Hospitals are short-staffed (file photo).

President Goodluck Jonathan has approved the sack of 16,000 striking resident doctors in all federal government hospitals across the nation. Read more »