The four Indian doctors who raised a false alarm of having being forced to treat Ebola patients will be leaving Nigeria today with the Indian High Commission facilitating their return, the Hindustan Times newspaper reported, quoting an official.
Spokesperson of the Indian ministry of external affairs, Syed Akbaruddin, said the four doctors who are employed by Primus Hospital are leaving after the Indian High Commission facilitated the return of their passports which had been taken away by the hospital authorities.
On Wednesday, Akbaruddin had clarified that no case of Ebola had been reported in Abuja, where Primus Hospital is located. He said there were a few cases of the disease in Lagos, which is hundreds of kilometers away.
He had also clarified that with the hospital being Indian-owned and the doctors also Indian, the doctors had the choice to leave their jobs.
When Daily Trust contacted director of the hospital in Abuja, Mr Sunny Ukachukwu, he confirmed that the four Indian doctors would be leaving to India with the help of the high commission.
He said it was unfortunate that the doctors were allowed to return home without first issuing a public apology for raising a false alarm on Ebola.