Aswat Masriya (Cairo)

16 August 2014

Egypt: Forty-Two Companies Contributing to New Suez Canal Project - Army Spokesman

Suez — Forty two companies are contributing to the drilling of the new Suez Canal mega project so far, alongside two road battalions, the armed forces spokesman said on Saturday.

Army spokesman Mohamed Samir added in a statement that drilling has reached almost 8 million square metre. He added that drilling rates should increase when the drilling companies complete their equipment next week.

The statement did not mention the names of the 42 companies contributing to the new canal's drilling.

On 5 August, President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi launched a mega project which entails digging a new 72-km (45-mile) canal alongside the existing Suez Canal. It is expected to cost $4 billion.

The project is implemented under the supervision of the armed forces. While launching the project, Sisi said it would be completed within a year, instead of a previous deadline of three years.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2014 Aswat Masriya. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.