23 August 2014

Kenya: Al Shabaab Militants Behead Garissa Miraa Dealer

Photo: Shabelle
Al Shabaab militants (file photo).

A conductor abducted by suspected al Shabaab militants was yesterday found brutally beheaded and his body dumped at Bodhia, on the Lamu-Garrisa border in Somalia.

Police said George Mwita was blindfolded and beheaded by the gunmen believed to be behind the bloodletting in Lamu county.

Police said the Mwita's three colleagues were released unhurt on Wednesday.

His body was discovered in Boni Forest during a joint military and police operation to hunt down the gunmen.

Lamu county commissioner Njenga Miiri said the attackers tied Mwita's hands before killing him.

Speaking to the Star on the phone, Miiri said the heavily armed attackers numbering more than 20 escaped into Somalia.

He said they took away two four wheel Toyota Land Cruisers that were used to deliver consignment of miraa from Garrissa to Ras Kiamboni in Lamu East.

The four had driven to Somalia through the Kiunga border and dropped several kilos of miraa and were driving back to Garissa when they were ambushed by the militants on Monday.

Detectives said one of the drivers released, Amuar Abdi, said attackers were all Somalis and were in military uniform.

"It's very unfortunate that when we went for the rescue mission they had already done the gruesome act, but we won't relent to secure our borders and pursue them," Miiri said.

Lamu county commander Ephatus Kiura said the Thursday rescue operation was delayed by heavy rainfall and poor terrain in the area.

The operation was led by a special unit from KDF and GSU's Recce squad personnel deployed to Lamu county .

Police have contacted the family of the slain conductor and they are making arrangements to airlift his body.

Kiura said the ongoing operation has pushed the gunmen from Lamu county, where they were hiding after carrying out simultaneous killings of more than 90 people.

According to intelligence reports, several gunmen have been killed in the operation after the Kenya Defence Forces shelled several training camps in the forest to flush out the militants.

Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo on Wednesday extended the dusk-to-dawn curfew in Lamu, which was to end on August 21, by a month.

The curfew will end on September 21.

Copyright © 2014 The Star. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.