Verdade (Maputo)

26 August 2014

Mozambique: Renamo Leader Accuses Army for Movements in Inhambane - Army Maintains Positions in Central Mozambique

Photo: DW
Afonso Dhlakama accuses the government of sending army to Gorongosa.

The President of the Renamo party, Afonso Dhlakama, accused on Tuesday (26) the Mozambican army for having gone to a base of the movement in the South of the country, considering the alleged movement "a provocation". Despite the cease-fire agreement signed last Sunday (24) military tension also continues in central Mozambique where are still present several military units of the army and the traffic of vehicles by the National Highway No.1, in the section between the Save river and the administrative post of Muxúnguè, continues to be carried out in convoys protected by the military.

Speaking to Portuguese news agency Lusa in Maputo, by phone, from Serra da Gorongosa, in Sofala Province, Center of the country, where he took refuge in October last year, Dhlakama said he received information of a commander of a base that houses Renamo party armed men, about the relocation of an army unit near the camp in Funhalouro district, Inhambane province, in southern Mozambique.

"They came out from a distance of almost 30 kilometers, going up there to our base, to upset, this morning. It is an incident, it happens, even in other countries, there may be a ceasefire and there is good communication," said Afonso Dhlakama, referring to the signing of a ceasefire agreement between the Mozambican Government and Renamo party last Sunday.

However, and despite the ceasefire agreed, the Minister of national defense, Agostinho Mondlane, said he won't withdraw the various military units stationed in the District of Gorongosa, in Sofala Province, because the armed forces of Mozambique's Defense can and should be in any region of the country, at any moment.

"The armed forces are everywhere and at any time in defense of the Mozambican people and in carrying out tasks which receive from the Mozambican people," said the Minister, in a brief press conference, this Monday, which served to make known the activities that will be carried out within the framework of the month of the armed forces of Mozambique's Defense.

The road traffic through the national road No.1, in the section between Save river and Muxúnguè, continues to be carried out in convoys protected by the military with no indication of when there will be restored the normal circulation.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2014 Verdade. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.