3 September 2014

South Africa: Bail Hearing Set for Murder Accused

Durban — The bail hearing of two people accused of decapitating a Durban prostitute was postponed in the Durban Regional Court on Wednesday.

The two, who are part of a group of six accused of killing Desiree Murugan, appeared briefly. Magistrate Anand Maharaj postponed their bail hearing to September 22.

Sivonkaliso Mbili, 32, and Vusumuzi Gumede, 30, were told their legal team had agreed to the date.

They are accused along with Falakhe Khumalo, 18, and three minors.

Municipal workers found Murugan's body at Shallcross stadium last month.

The Daily News reported at the time that the 39-year-old had a six-year-old son and worked as a prostitute. She reportedly had a drug habit.

Her head was found in Imfume on the KwaZulu-Natal south coast.

At the time police spokesman Colonel Jay Naicker said one of the accused was a traditional healer.

The regional court was packed to capacity on Wednesday.

It was not immediately clear when and if the three minors and Khumalo would appear in court.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2014 South African Press Association. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.