3 September 2014

Nigeria: British High Commission Confirms Death of Envoy At Lagos Airport

The British High Commision has confirmed the death of its Deputy High Commissioner to Nigeria, Mr. Peter Leslie Carter, who slumped and died yesterday, from a possible heart attack on arrival at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos.

In a statement by Rob Fitzpatrick, Head of Press & Public Affairs Section, British High Commission, Abuja, said the Commission is saddened by the sudden death of Mr. Carter who joined the HM Diplomatic Service in 1984 and was an experienced career diplomat.

"Mr. Carter had previously served as Consul General in Milan and then as the British Ambassador to Estonia before becoming Deputy High Commissioner in Lagos in 2013 where he made an exceptional contribution to the UK's relationship with Nigeria.

"Peter will be sorely missed by his family, friends and colleagues."

The late Deputy High Commissioner who arrived Lagos on United Airlines Flight UA143 at 3.50pm slumped in the avio-bridge while he was alighting from the aircraft.

In a letter written by the Federal Ministry of Health Port Health Services,signed by Doctors E.E. Ukatu and Abdullai, made available to reporters by airport sources stated:

"The Port Health Services was called today (2/9/14) by a FAAN (Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria) medical nurse at about 4.07 pm from the D arrival screening point to see a passenger (the deceased) said to have arrived aboard a United Airlines flight from Houston, Texas.

"It was reported that after disembarking, the passenger was observed to be clutching his chest and asking for help.

"In the course of examination, he was asked if he was Asthmatic, and he said 'MAY BE'.

"On examination, he was found to be pale, in respiratory distress (gasping for breath), his pulse was rapid and thready. Based on his response to the question if he was asthmatic, a Ventolin inhaler was administered, but was not effective, as the patient was restless and threw off the inhaler to the floor. He was placed on the left lateral position and at the same time, oxygen was called for.

"Efforts were made to administer oxygen, while a second doctor was called and suction applied via a suction machine to clear the airway.

"Subsequently, the patient suffered a cardio-pulmonary arrest; the radial and carotid pulses were no longer palpable and patient was observed to be cyanosed. Attempts at resuscitation proved abortive. Pupils were fixed and dilated and patient was certified dead at 4.26 pm".


Protest As Buhari Sacks 13 Universities' Vice Chancellors

The Coalition of Civil Society Groups (CCSG) has protested against the sack of Vice Chancellors of 12 Federal … see more »

Copyright © 2014 Vanguard. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 1,400 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.