16 January 2016

South Africa: Zuma Condemns Deadly Attack At Top Burkina Faso Hotel

Photo: Al Jazeera TV
A scene from an Al Jazeera report on the attack.

President Jacob Zuma has condemned the terrorist attacks at a restaurant and a hotel in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, the Department of International Relations and Co-operation said on Saturday.

"The South African Government joins the international community in strongly condemning the cowardly terrorist attacks that took place at a restaurant and a hotel in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, on Friday, 15 January, 2016, that resulted in the deaths and injuries of scores of innocent civilians," spokesperson Nelson Kgwete said in a statement.

"On behalf of the Government and people of South Africa, H.E President Jacob Zuma has conveyed a message of deepest condolences to H.E President Roch Marc Christian Kaboré, the Government and people of Burkina Faso, particularly the families of the victims."

Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported that at least 23 people from 18 countries were killed in an attack by jihadist gunmen on a top hotel and a restaurant in the capital of Burkina Faso, before security forces ended the siege on Saturday and killed four assailants.

126 people freed

A total of 126 people were freed, including 33 wounded, from the four-star Splendid hotel, popular with Westerners and UN personnel, after security forces retook the 147-room facility and the Cappuccino restaurant nearby in the early hours of Saturday, Interior Minister Simon Compaore told AFP.

A security source told the organisation that the attack had been contained by mid-day on Saturday.

Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) claimed responsibility for the attack saying it was "revenge against France and the disbelieving West", according to a statement carried by US-based monitoring group SITE.

Kgwete said South Africa stood with the rest of the international community in its condemnation of the attacks targeting innocent civilians.

"... Terrorism, in whatever form and from whichever quarter, cannot be condoned. The South African Embassy in Ouagadougou is closely monitoring developments and will report to Pretoria as soon as information is available on the well-being of any South African citizens," he said.

Source: News24

South Africa

Billiat Out to Make the Sundowns Shine

Khama Billiat has played a key role in Mamelodi Sundowns' incredible journey to the FIFA Club World Cup Japan 2016,… Read more »

Copyright © 2016 News24Wire. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 1,000 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.