29 January 2016

Central African Republic: UN Reveals Claims of Sexual Assault By Peacekeepers

The UN human rights office has disclosed new claims of abuse by peacekeepers in the Central African Republic. The accused soldiers are said to have been part of the European Union's contingent in the war-torn nation.

The United Nations human rights chief said on Friday that new allegations of sexual abuse by UN peacekeepers had surfaced in the Central African Republic. The reported crimes involved the troops from the European Union contingent deployed in the country during a period of instability in 2014.

A statement from Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, said both boys and girls had been interviewed by UN staff, and told stories of rape and of being paid for performing sexual acts.

"Four of the girls said their abusers were attached to contingents operating as part of the European Union operation," Zeid said.

"While the nationalities of some of the soldiers remain unclear, three of the girls said they believed their abusers were members of the Georgian EUFOR contingent," Zeid continued. "The four girls were aged between 14 and 16 at the time of the alleged abuse."

Zeid added that other claims of abuse against the French force had also been brought forward.

Sex traded for water, cookies

In one incident, Zeid described how a girl was coerced into having sex with a soldier in exchange for "a bottle of water and a bag of cookies."

"Far too many of these crimes continue to go unpunished, with the perpetrators enjoying full impunity," he said. "This simply encourages further violations."

The European Union responded to the allegations saying "the EU follows a zero-tolerance policy as regards sexual misconduct or criminal activities." It also offered its assistance to the UN human rights office in following up and investigating any reports of assault.

Georgia's Defense Ministry also vowed to investigate the accusations as swiftly as possible.

In 2013, a group of mostly Muslim rebels staged a coup in the mainly Christian nation, starting a cycle of sectarian violence and revenge that has killed thousands and displaced hundreds of thousands more.

es/sms (AFP, dpa, Reuters)

Central African Republic

Occupying Schools, Gunmen Deny Education to Thousands of Children - UN

One in five primary schools, around 400, are closed and a third of children are not in class, according to UNICEF Read more »

Copyright © 2016 Deutsche Welle. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 1,200 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.