31 January 2016

Nigeria: At Least 65 People Killed in Boko Haram Attack in Nigeria

An attack blamed on Boko Haram Islamists has killed dozens of people in a village in northeastern Nigeria, near Maiduguri. Another attack took place in neighboring Chad, where three people died.

Suicide bombers attacked the village of Dalori, some 12 kilometers (7 miles) from the Borno state capital of Maiduguri, on Saturday night, burning down the entire village. Dalori is located near camps set up for people displaced by the Boko Haram insurgency in the country's northeast, now in its seventh year.

Local residents have claimed that at least 50 people were killed in the attack, while news agencies reported more than 65 victims. An official with the state emergency agency present at the scene said 12 bodies had been burnt beyond recognition.

"During the incident lives were lost while some people sustained injuries," said army spokesman Colonel Mustapha Anka. He added that the jihadists had arrived the village in cars and on motorcycles "before they started opening fire and burning houses" shortly after evening prayers.

Three female suicide bombers were also "intercepted and subsequently got blown up" during the attack. It was the third attack this week suspected to have been carried out by Boko Haram.

A survivor hiding in a tree told the Associated Press news agency that he had watched the Boko Haram extremists firebomb huts while hearing the screams of children among those burned to death during the attack.

The coordinated attack reportedly continued for four hours. It was the worst attack in the region in a month; Boko Haram managed to kill more than 50 people in Maiduguri at the end of December.

Further attacks in Chad

Three more people were killed and dozens wounded in two suicide bombings in the Lake Chad area around 100 kilometers (about 60 miles) north of the Chadian capital, N'Djamena. In the first attack in Guie, a suicide bomber killed one person and injured 32, while the second attack in the village of Miterine left two dead and 24 wounded, officials said.

The area is frequently targeted by Boko Haram fighters, who seek to establish a hard-line Islamic state in northern Nigeria and neighboring regions. The conflict has killed some 17,000 people and forced more than 2.6 million to flee their homes since it began in 2009.

ss/cmk (AFP, AP, Reuters)

Nigeria

World Bank Officials Drown in Nigeria

Four World Bank officials have drowned at Egbe Dam in Egbe Ekiti, Gbonyin Local Government Area of Ekiti State,… Read more »

Copyright © 2016 Deutsche Welle. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 1,000 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.