23 February 2016

Nigeria: Village Head Arrested for Infecting 13-Yr-Old Girl With HIV

Photo: Financial Gazette
(file photo).

Kano — The Kano State Hisbah board has arrested the village head of Goron Maje in Danbatta local government area, Alhaji Musa Goron-Maje, for allegedly having an affair with a 13-year- old girl and infecting her with HIV.

The Director General of the board, Dr Abba Sufi, told reporters on Tuesday that the suspect was arrested on Monday following a complaint from her parents.

He said the case had since been handed over to the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Muhammad Sanusi II, who ordered for his immediate removal from office.

"The girl was to be given out in marriage to her suitor, but three days to the wedding ceremony, the girl was tested and found to be HIV-positive."When interrogated, she said the suspect was the one who infected her as he had been sleeping with her", he said.

According to him, the suspect had also been tested and found to be a carrier of the deadly disease.

More on This

Sanusi Suspends Village Head Over Alleged Rape of Girl, 14

Emir of Kano, Alhaji Muhammadu Sanusi, has suspended Usman Musa Muhammad, the village head of Goron-Maje in Dambatta LGA… Read more »

Copyright © 2016 This Day. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 600 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.