So, finally people in Gauteng will be making the pilgrimage to Mall of Africa--the biggest mall on the continent.
Here are some of the things you need to know about this humungous development, which is set to finish construction at the end of April.
1. Mall of Africa occupies the biggest space for any mall on the African continent (485 000 square metres), the shopping space itself is "only" 131 000 squares - which is smaller than the 220 000 square metre Gateway Shopping Centre in Durban - the largest mall in Africa.
2. It has made a social media record: the mall isn't even open yet and it has almost 43 000 likes on Facebook already! It is opening 28 April.
3 The new mall will boast over 300 shops, and will play host to a plethora of local and international brands. It will have over 7 000 parking bays.
4. There will be 21 international brands opening flagship stores including H&M, Zara, Hamleys, Cotton On and Forever, while anchor tenants include Edcon, Woolworths, Game and Checkers Hyper.
5. There are only about ten shops to go, so occupancy is 98,4 percent let.
6. The mall will serve as the hub of the 323ha Waterfall development project, which is estimated to be carrying a cost of R71 billion to complete, with 11 more years of development still to go.
7. Mall of Africa has water-treatment tanks and substantial water-storage tanks situated in the parkade basements with a capacity of 540 000m³.
This feeds all of the public bathroom facilities in the mall with water for the flushing of toilets and for the irrigation of the landscaping surrounding the entire site.
8. The mall initially carried a development cost of around R3.2 billion, but is now estimated to be closer to R5 billion.