10 October 2016

Nigeria: Tension in Osun Schools Over Mass Failure in WAEC Qualifying Examination

Osogbo — Tight security is expected at the premises of most secondary schools in Osun State, especially in Osogbo, the state capital today, following the alleged plot by some students to protest their failure in an examination organised to select public school students that would sit for the next West African Examination Council (WAEC) school certificate examinations on the bill of the state government.

The unified examination was held in all public high schools across the state between Monday, August 23 and Friday, August 27 with over 35,000 students participating.

However, a source at the Ministry of Education said only 7,000 students made the cut-off marks for the state government's sponsorship.

Consequently, as the results of the examinations arrived schools last Thursday, there was growing tension among students because of the high rate of failure and the belief that those who failed might not be allowed to write the WAEC examinations.

Students of Anglican High School, Kola Balogun area of Osogbo started the protest on Friday when news filtered in that nearly all that sat for the qualifying examination in the school failed.

Also a reliable source in the school said officers and men of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) were alerted and the students were hurriedly dismissed as the school closed early for the day.

Security sources yesterday said that some students were planning to foment trouble in schools and that the security agencies had been put on alert in case of any eventuality.

Students, who spoke with THISDAY on the issue, however, expressed reservation over the outcome of the qualifying examination, blaming the high rate of failure on an alleged plot to limit the number of students that would benefit from the government's sponsorship.

Efforts to get the government's spokesperson, Mr. Semiu Okanlawon, to speak on the development was abortive as calls to his phone were not answered.

Nigeria

Ex-Envoy Asks Trump to Revoke Visas of Corrupt Rulers

Nigerian leaders suspected of corruption may soon find themselves shut out of the United States after a special report… Read more »

Copyright © 2016 This Day. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 700 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.