20 March 2017

South Africa: 4 Trafficking Victims Used As Cheap Labour in SA

The trial of a 25-year-old South African man who allegedly trafficked four Zimbabweans to SA where he used them for forced labour has been set for April 12.

Raymond Sithole of Chebeng Village will be tried at the Seshego Magistrate Court in Polokwane city.

He was arrested on January 3 by South Africa's Directorate for Priority Crime Investigations (The Hawks) following a tip off.

Sithole is accused of holding the four men hostage at his home.

Hawks spokesperson for Limpopo Province, Captain Matimba Maluleke said the man's victims were aged between 15 and 20 and that they had been illegally transported into the neighbouring country on the promise of good jobs.

Captain Maluleke said the four were kept under lock and key at Sithole's house.

He said in some instances, the man would send the victims to steal and do other jobs without payments.

"He has been charged for human trafficking. The complainants were allegedly kept under key and lock after being smuggled into South Africa with false promises of good jobs and better lives here.

"In some cases, the suspect would severely assault them if they failed to comply with his orders," he said.

He said they had also arrested a Home Affairs official, John Baloyi (32) for confiscating a passport belonging to a foreign national in January.

"After confiscating the passport, he asked for a bribe and we arrested him soon after he collected the money. He will soon appear in court on a charge of corruption," he said.

Police from both countries intensified border patrols in light of an increase in the illegal smuggling of children between the two countries.

A total of 120 children were in December intercepted along the boundary line while being smuggled into South Africa, prompting security agents to redouble their efforts in fighting the crime.

Further, a total of 20 children were repatriated from that country last year after being intercepted between Musina and Polokwane en-route to Johannesburg.

In the same year, three Zimbabwean cross-border transporters were jailed for up to 632 years by a South African High Court after they were convicted on 62 charges ranging from murder, robbery, extortion, rape among other violent crimes perpetrated in that country.

All their victims were Zimbabweans using hiking spots between Musina and Johannesburg.

South Africa

President Zuma - I've Never Sought Residency Outside Country

President Jacob Zuma revealed in a written reply to a Parliamentary question on Monday that he owns no property outside… Read more »

Copyright © 2017 The Herald. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 900 reports a day from more than 150 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.