Maputo — The Mozambican government announced on Tuesday that continued humanitarian assistance is guaranteed for the victims of recent natural disasters, notably of Cyclone Dineo, that hit the southern province of Inhambane in mid-February.
Speaking to reporters at the end of the weekly session of the Council of Ministers (Cabinet), the government spokesperson, Deputy Health Minister Mouzinho Saide, said the government had analysed a report on the emergency situation over the past fortnight, which indicated that some of the damage done by Dineo has been repaired.
The government had been informed that the relief agency, the National Disasters Management Institute (INGC), has removed the “orange alert” that had been in place since January, since there were no longer any imminent threats. At the same time, Saide added, “the Council of Ministers was informed that continued humanitarian assistance is guaranteed for the people affected”.
Of the 2,222 classrooms destroyed by Dineo, 1,535 have now been repaired, Saide said, but work still has to be done on the remaining 687. Of the seven water supply system in Inhambane damaged during the cyclone, two have been rehabilitated.
118 houses had been planned to accommodate vulnerable groups, and to date 75 have been built, Saide added.
Saide said that during Tuesday's meeting the Council of Ministers had approved bills to amend the tax regime and fiscal benefits for mining and for petroleum operations. He gave no details of the changes, which will not take effect until approved by parliament.