The government says it is still committed to eventually withdrawing South Africa from the International Criminal Court (ICC) - despite its recent withdrawal of its notice to withdraw. By PETER FABRICIUS.
The South African government hinted on Sunday that it might not proceed with the withdrawal from the International Criminal Court if the ICC were to rule that South Africa was justified in not arresting Sudanese President Omar al Bashir when he visited South Africa in June 2015.
Environment minister Edna Molewa - who is also chair of the ANC's sub-committee on international relations - confirmed on Sunday that withdrawal from The Hague-based ICC was still the ANC and the government's official policy.
She recalled that the government had withdrawn its official application to withdraw from the ICC only on procedural grounds, after South African courts ruled that the government should first have obtained Parliament's approval.
The ANC and the government's decision derived from a decision by the ANC's national general council, Molewa said at a briefing by the ANC's sub-committee on the ANC's international relations document to be adopted at its policy conference.
That decision had not been reviewed since then, she said.
She stressed, however, that this decision...