22 August 2017

Nigeria: Electricity - Govt Yet to Release N701bn Gas Supply Guarantee Fund 5 Months After

The much famed N701.9 billion Payment Assurance Fund (PAF) meant to provide more liquidity for Generation Companies (GenCos) to pay for gas and increase electricity supply, has not been released five months after it was announced, Daily Trust reports.

The Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola, while berating the 11 Distribution Companies (DisCos) for their poor payment of energy bills at the 15th Power Sector Meeting in May 2017, said the fund saved the grid from crashing the GenCos that couldn't pay for gas to generate power.

Details available indicate that the fund from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), announced in March by Fashola, is for the Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading Plc (NBET) to bridge GenCos' liquidity issues from January 2017 to 2019 to ensure more gas supply and increased power generation.

In an interview with Daily Trust in June 2017, the minister said the payment had commenced with visible improvement in power generation. "The payment has commenced and that is why you see we are around 4,000 megawatt (mw) now," he had said.

The Permanent Secretary for Power, Mr Louis Edozien, at the July sector meeting in Abuja confirmed the payments to GenCos for January and February while those for March and April were been processed, under the N701 billion funding arrangement.

Explaining the N701bn disbursement procedure to the GenCos, the spokesperson of NBET, Henrietta Ighomrore, last weekend told Daily Trust that, "The payment assurance is to make up whatever the DisCos pay monthly as their energy bill to the GenCos. That means we need application on a periodic basis for that."

"We had met with the GenCos to explain what the fund is about. They are fully aware as we have made presentations to them," Henrietta also said.

She confirmed the use of NBET capitalisation saying, "Rather than allowing gas constraints to continue, we had gone ahead to use some of our capitalisation with the understanding that it will flow back when the CBN fund comes."

Accessing the N701bn hurdles

Our investigations have shown that NBET was yet to access any tranche of the fund from the CBN as at yesterday. Even the payments made for January and February to the GenCos were drawn from NBET's capitalisation.

"They used their capitalisation to pay for January and February and they do not have enough to continue the payment without the N701bn fund being released," a sector official privy to a meeting held by critical stakeholders and the then Acting President Yemi Osinbajo on July 28, over the fund delay, said.

The industry source said Mr Osinbajo at the meeting directed NBET to make payment for March and April to the GenCos within 14 days that elapsed on Friday, August 11.

Among the Conditions Precedent (CPs) for CBN to release the fund, NBET must present a sovereign guarantee from the Ministry of Finance, which the minister, Mrs Kemi Adeosun, promised at the meeting. It must also apply for the fund in tranches through the Debt Management Office (DMO). Both conditions as at the weekend were yet to be met completely.

At an NBET meeting on August 9, the CBN still requested for the Sovereign Guarantee from the finance ministry as part of the CPs. "The minister said she has to admit some documentation from NBET to grant that, but as of last week, NBET didn't get that done as the managing director, Marilyn was absent for about three days," another industry expert revealed.

Another source said the delay in getting the instrument was because NBET had frustrated a move to constitute executive directors from the existing team to ensure seamless operation in the absence of the MD as was the procedure.

NBET had to complete GenCos invoices for the first two months because Fashola announced the fund over two months before CBN issued the Offer Letter.

An official said, "As we speak, CBN has not issued any fund yet. It is now that NBET is trying to meet the Conditions Precedent (CPs).

"NBET felt since the CBN has agreed to release the fund; it applied to the Presidency to grant the authority to use the capitalisation pending when CBN releases the fund."

Administrative glitches delay process

It was further gathered that sour relations between the leadership of NBET and key officials tied to the fund added to the delay. "Leadership of NBET has poor relationship with the finance ministry; it has antagonised so many in the power ministry and that has undermined the ability to operate in a team work," an official said.

For the GenCos, "The fact remains, if government wants the power sector to succeed, payments have to be made. If the GenCos don't get enough fund to pay for gas, generation of electricity will crash," one of their experts further stated.

Nigeria

Nurturing Young Entrepreneurs As the Next Generation of Hunger Fighters

Considered the "Nobel Prize of agriculture," the World Food Prize is awarded each year for a specific and exceptionally… Read more »

Copyright © 2017 Daily Trust. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 900 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.