20 September 2017

Namibia: MTC Apologises for System Upgrade Hiccups

MOBILE operator MTC yesterday apologised for the hiccups that customers experienced during the period they implemented a system upgrade.

MTC last month notified customers of possible inconveniences that were expected to last about two days during the upgrades. However customers continued experiencing the inconveniences weeks after the upgrades, leading to a public outcry.

Some customers were allegedly wrongly charged or their accounts were not credited with top ups they made.

Chief human capital and corporate affairs officer Tim Ekandjo yesterday said the company had successfully refunded all the 335 customers who lost airtime or data credits because of the upgrades.

"We are not a perfect company and we do not like to be perfect too. But sometimes in the offering of services, errors can occur. We would like to say we are really sorry to our customers," Ekandjo said.

During the same event, MTC announced that they will give each customer 300MB free data. The free data will be available for use on both pre-paid and post-paid services from today at 8h00 until Friday.

All pre-paid customers will have 48 hours to use the free data while post-paid customers will have validity until their next bill cycle. All Turbo boost customers will receive a free turbo boost bundles commensurate to their turbo boost plan.

Ekandjo, who denied the company has issues within their billing systems following customers' complaints of 'disappearing' data, said they will continue with educational promotions to educate the public on how to keep their data on their phones.

"We are not giving this free data because of what people say is 'disappearing data'. Our billing system is clean. We are actually giving the free data to apologise for the inconveniences caused to our customers during the system upgrades," he said.

Ekandjo said MTC has 2,4 million customers.

"Our technicians have also learnt something from this,'" he said.

Namibia

First Lady Warns Against Facebook Scams

THE Office of the First Lady has issued an alert on the bogus use of her name, particularly on popular social media site… Read more »

Copyright © 2017 The Namibian. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 900 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.