28 September 2017

Nigeria: NAFDAC Crisis - Despite Exit of DG, Workers Vow to Continue Strike

Despite the exit of the Acting Director General of NAFDAC, workers of the food and drug regulator said they will continue their strike.

PREMIUM TIMES broke the news of the exit of Yetunde Oni on Thursday following a directive by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.

The SGF approved Mrs. Oni's 'immediate retirement' in a letter by R.P. Ugo, a Permanent Secretary in the office of the SGF.

The directive, dated September 28, was in response to a letter written to the SGF by Mrs. Oni over the worker's unrest in the regulatory agency.

The Medical and Health Workers Union chapter of NAFDAC commenced an indefinite strike last week demanding improved welfare and the immediate retirement of Mrs. Oni, whom they said was already due for retirement.

The Director of Public Relations and Special Duties, NAFDAC, Jimoh Abubakar, confirmed to PREMIUM TIMES that Mrs. Oni has been directed to proceed on retirement and hand over to the most senior director of the agency.

Mr. Abubakar disclosed that Ademola Mogbojuri, who is the most senior director of the agency, has been appointed as the acting director general.

Mr. Mogbojuri, was until his appointment, director of Training and Research Institute, Kaduna.

He was once the Director, Finance and Accounts (DFA) before he was redeployed to Planning, Research and Statistics and later redeployed to Kaduna after three months.

STRIKE CONTINUES

Despite the change in leadership, the striking workers said they will not return to work until the last of their demand is attended to.

The vice chairman of the workers' union, Idu Isua, said that the workers will not return to work because Mrs Oni's retirement is not enough to call off the strike.

He noted that the only joyful thing about the appointment is that they now have somebody to negotiate with.

"We are not calling it off. We still have one issue and that is the issue of allowances. So since we have somebody who can spearhead the issue now, we will start from there.

"We can start the negotiation from now since we have somebody who can lead us. So no problem about that but the strike continues," he said.

Nigeria

A Year After Fatal Church Collapse, State Govt Yet to Release Report

It's exactly one year since a church building collapsed in Akwa Ibom State, killing 27 people, and injuring 37 on… Read more »

Copyright © 2017 Premium Times. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 900 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.