21 November 2017

Nigeria: Nema Confirms 21 Dead in Mubi Mosque Suicide Attack

Photo: Premium Times
Adamawa on map.

The National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA has confirmed that 21 persons died in Tuesday morning suicide attack on worshippers in Mubi, Adamawa state.

Speaking via a telephone interview, NEMA coordinator, North-eastern, Bashir Garga, said eight persons injured in the attack had been evacuated for treatment.

"A suicide attack by a teenage boy after early morning prayers at a mosque has so far claimed the lives of at least 21 persons, and eight others injured seriously have been transferred to FMC, Yola," Mr. Garga said.

"A boy of about 17-years-old, wearing a suicide vest entered the mosque along with other worshippers immediately after the prayers and detonated the bomb. Besides the eight (injured) transferred, others, wounded are receiving treatment at various hospitals in Mubi North," he added.

PREMIUM TIMES had earlier reported how the suicide bomber detonated his deadly vest during the morning prayers.

"As people converged on Massalacin Madina at Anguwan Shuwa to observe Subh (morning prayer), an unknown man rammed himself into the mosque with IEDs, killing many people. As I am talking to you I saw over 20 dead with many injured", a resident of the area who identified himself as Bello said.

Speaking on the attack, the chairman of Mubi North Local Government Area, Musa Bello, said "the suicide bomber struck at the mosque during the morning prayer. Though for now, we are still compiling the casualty figure, reports say that over 15 to 20 people were reported killed."

Fifteen people were initially confirmed dead.

Read our earlier report below:

The National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, has confirmed that 15 people died and 20 injured in Mubi Mosque bomb blast on Tuesday morning.

PREMIUM TIMES reported how a suicide bomber detonated his explosive at the packed mosque during the ‎early morning prayer.

Idris Garga, the North East Coordinator of NEMA, confirmed the casualty in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Mubi.

"So far 15 people are killed and about 20 sustained different degrees of injuries in the Mubi Mosque bomb blast," Mr. Garga said.

He said that suspected Boko Haram suicide bombers carried out the attack.

He said the attack targeted Muslims worshipers performing morning prayers.

Also, Haruna Hamman-Furo, Executive Secretary of the Adamawa State Emergency Management Agency, ADSEMA, also confirmed that 15 people were killed and several others injured due to the blast.

"As people converged on Massalacin Madina at Anguwan Shuwa to observe Subh (morning prayer), an unknown man rammed himself into the mosque with IEDs , killing many people," a resident of the area had told PREMIUM TIMES.

Adamawa, Borno and Yobe have been the most affected states by the Boko Haram insurgency that has caused about 100,000 deaths since 2009.

More on This

Mubi Attack - Death Toll Rises to 50

The Adamawa Police Command says the death toll in Tuesday's Mubi mosque suicide attack has risen to 50. Read more »

Copyright © 2017 Premium Times. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 900 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.