16 January 2018

Kenya: Recount of Votes for Changamwe Fails to Kick Off

Scrutiny and recount of votes for Changamwe constituency failed to take place on Tuesday due to the absence of the deputy High Court registrar who is away on leave.

Judge Njoki Mwangi said the court will appoint another deputy registrar or a magistrate to oversee the exercise.

The Judge clarified that the scrutiny and recount will be conducted in 58 out of 137 polling stations in the constituency.

Lawyer Gikandi Ngibuini for petitioner Mohamed Mahmoud and IEBC's lawyer Justus Munyithya asked the judge to extend the timeline she had set to conduct the scrutiny after the exercise failed to start Tuesday.

The judge directed the recount be done from Tuesday to Friday and the report filed in court January 24, 2018 at the latest.

Judge Mwangi said the court will consider extending the time once a magistrate or deputy registrar has been identified.

Kenya

Police Name Man Behind Foiled City Terror Attack

Police have identified the leader of a terrorist cell that planned the foiled attack in Nairobi last week. Read more »

Copyright © 2018 The Nation. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 800 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.