13 February 2018

Nigeria: 136 Nigerians Evacuated From Libya Arrive Port Harcourt

The fifth batch of 136 Nigerian returnees from Libya arrived Port Harcourt International Airport in the early hours of Tuesday, Martins Ejike, South-South Zonal Coordinator, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), has said.

Mr. Ejike, represented by Ebhodaghe Eric, NEMA Chief Administrative Officer, received the returnees who arrived aboard Med-View Airline 5N-MAB at about 1.10 a.m.

"They are all intact, except one of them who we are taking to the hospital with the ambulance to find out why she is unstable," he said.

Mr. Ejike said few returnees in the fourth batch were still left at the centre, adding that they are from Osun and Ekiti states.

He appealed to concerned state governments to hasten the process of picking their indigenes.

Mr. Ejike said the agency would contact state governors for prompt evacuation of the returnees from the fifth batch in the Port Harcourt centre.

Joy Job, one of the returnees, thanked the Federal Government for rescuing them and fulfilling its promise of bringing Nigerians home.

Ms. Job described her experience in Libya as "horrible, sorrowful and unforgettable."

She said that she was sold into slavery by a Nigerian who told her that he found a hair dressing work for her in Kano, not knowing that she had been sold into slavery to another Nigerian living in Libya.

"Nigerians are selling fellow Nigerians into slavery in Libya; we are sold from one person to another, Libya people will buy us from our people and use us for any kind of work they like.

"I did not know that where I was in Kano was a boundary between Nigeria and another country until I saw myself surrounded with gun.

"My abductors told me that if I did not agree to go to Libya, they will kill me, so I had no option than to agree with them.

"They gave us Nigerian account numbers to pay in the money they charged us before they freed us from their custody," she said.

Ms. Job advised Nigerian youth still nursing the idea of travelling out of the country illegally to drop it and manage life with whatever they see in the country.

She appealed to the Federal Government to continue with the evacuation in order to save many Nigerians who were still in different prisons and camps in Libya. (NAN)

Nigeria

Court Releases 475 Boko Haram Suspects for Rehabilitation

A Federal High Court sitting in Wawa Cantonment, Kainji, Niger state has set free about 475 suspected Boko Haram… Read more »

Copyright © 2018 Premium Times. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 800 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.