13 March 2018

Nigeria: #BBOG to Sue Govt Over Abduction of Dapchi Schoolgirls

Photo: Premium Times
#BringBackOurGirls

The #BringBackOurGirls movement has served the Federal Government a 7-day notice or it will commence a legal action for the "criminal negligence which enabled the abduction of #Dapchigirls".

The group's lawyer, Femi Falana stated this at a press conference on Tuesday, during its march to the villa to demand for the rescue of all citizens abducted by insurgents in the country.

Falana said the group was going to court to not only demand for the rescue of the abducted girls but to demand for sanctions of those responsible for the students' safety.

"Having regards to the circumstances of the development in that part of the country it is intolerable that the same manner of abduction took place. Are we being told that there was no security for those schools in the northeast region?' he queried.

"We are not just going to court to demand for the rescue of the girls; we are also going to demand for sanction because once you do not punish impunity, you are going to have criminality happen all over the place" he said.

The group had earlier issued a statement where it poses 14 questions relating to the abduction of the girls, demanding swift response from FG.

The group which accused the FG of incompetence with the abduction queried why the military was withdrawn from Dapchi, on whose account and to whom did they hand over?

It also wondered how terrorists carried out their activity for hours unchallenged by FG forces wondering if there was connivance between the abductors and those in the military.

"Now we are being told that a committee has been set up by the same people, it can only be to cover up. So if you want to challenge what has been done by now we expect the government to have fired those who are responsible and those 14 questions are very genuine. Particularly, who withdrew the forces on ground? To who was security handed over to and if nobody can provide answers, then people have to sanctions. So we are not just going to court to demand for the search for the girls we are also going to demand for sanctions" Falana added.

More on This

'Bring Back Our Girls' Blames Govt Failures for Dapchi Kidnap

The Bring Back Our Girls group on Tuesday accused the Nigerian government of "incompetence and carelessness" for the… Read more »

See What Everyone is Watching

Copyright © 2018 Daily Trust. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 800 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.