19 March 2018

Congo-Kinshasa: UN - DR Congo Forces Killing Protesters With 'Impunity'

Photo: MONUSCO/Flikr
Protests in Kinshasa 19-20 December 2016.

Dozens of protesters were killed by DR Congo security forces in 2017 in what the UN described as quashing dissent at all costs. The violence threatens peaceful and free elections.

At least 47 people, including women and children, were killed last year by Congolese security forces in an "unlawful, unjustified and disproportionate" crackdown on peaceful protesters, the UN said Monday.

Democratic Republic of Congo has been hit by a wave of protests since President Joseph Kabila refused to step down at the end of his term in December 2016.

After repeated delays the election has been set for December this year, but the electoral commission has said that it may have to be held in April 2019. The opposition accuses Kabila of trying to hold onto power.

Impunity 'particularly disturbing'

"It is particularly disturbing that security services and defense forces carry out this violence with almost full impunity which can be perceived as encouraging such repression," said UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein.

"We are seeing the quashing of dissent at all costs - even at the cost of human life - in the DRC by the systematic deployment of armed forces alongside the Police Nationale Congolaise to handle protests."

The UN report said Congolese security services used lethal force against protesters and attempted to cover up human rights violations, including by removing the bodies of victims and blocking national and international observers.

The report also said that restriction on fundamental rights and threats against protesters was of "deep concern" for the holding peaceful and fair elections.

Kabila has dismissed allegations his security forces have used excessive force on protesters.

Every evening at 1830 UTC, DW's editors send out a selection of the day's hard news and quality feature journalism. You can sign up to receive it directly here.

More on This

Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby Presses British Government On Violence in DRC

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, has used his position as a member of the House of Lords - the upper house of… Read more »

Copyright © 2018 Deutsche Welle. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 800 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.