12 June 2018

Angola: Government Suspends Salaries of Thousands of Public Sector Workers

press release

Brussels — The ITUC has called on the government of Angola to reverse its decision to suspend thousands of public sector workers' salaries and has also called on the government to enter talks with trade unions.

In April this year, 64,000 workers in the public sector found out from a TV announcement that their salary was suspended due to "lack of administrative documents" in the country's human resources database. Since then, workers have continued to go to work without pay. Those who refuse to go to work face disciplinary measures and may eventually lose their jobs.

"in some cases, workers were asked to provide additional photos, residency certificates and all sorts of documents that had been already originally submitted by workers upon passing the public examination. It is the responsibility of the employer to ensure that any default in the internal human resource management does not prejudice the enjoyment of rights for workers. The government's actions are unacceptable and are causing hardship for families," said Sharan Burrow, ITUC General Secretary.

The decision was also taken unilaterally without any consultation with the social partners. National trade union centre UNTA has repeatedly called upon the government to discuss the issue; however, the government has failed to reply.

"The absence of consultations is in breach of the principles of freedom of association under the ILO Constitution and ILO Recommendation No. 113. Also, by suspending salaries of thousands of workers unilaterally, the government is also violating the provisions of ILO Convention 26 on Minimum Wage Fixing that Angola has ratified," said Burrow.

The ITUC urges the government of Angola to immediately begin consultations with trade unions and resolve the issue of nonpayment of salaries.

SOURCE International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC)

Angola

Police Hand Over Seized Ivory to Environment Ministry Seized Ivory

The National Police delivered part of the ivory seized on June 04, at Luanda's 04 de Fevereiro International Airport, to… Read more »

See What Everyone is Watching

Copyright © 2018 PR Newswire. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 800 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.