The best manufacturers in the world rely on a skilled workforce, quality materials, optimal processes, and reliable machines. When any of these start to fail, they create delays, costs overruns, waste, and anxiety on the shop floor.
That's why GE is investing in the Brilliant Manufacturing Suite, powered by the Predix platform, to create software applications that can tell manufacturers how their plants are doing. GE's solutions focus on empowering decision-makers through real-time visibility and deep operational intelligence. These solutions support insightful decisions with real-time quality and execution information and help balance plant production to improve product quality and profitability.
Now, GE Brilliant Hacks is challenging developers like you to build smart, connected Industrial Internet of Things apps that harness the power of the GE Brilliant Manufacturing data APIs and microservices. Build apps, product extensions, or data visualizations that provide deeper insight into the manufacturing process, enabling plant managers to predict, adapt, and react for maximum efficiency.
GE Brilliant Hacks will run in two rounds:
Ideas Round (Feb. 21 - Mar. 21) Participants will submit their best app, extension, or data visualization ideas to solve manufacturing problems using the GE Brilliant Manufacturing Suite of APIs. The top 30 ideas will be selected to move on to the Build Round.
Build Round (Mar. 27 - May 8) The top 30 ideas from round one will receive access to a hackathon-only Predix environment to build their idea into a functioning solution.
- Individuals, and teams of individuals, who have reached the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry
- Organizations that, at the time of entry, have been duly organized or incorporated and validly exist.
- The competition will welcome submitters from around the globe.
- However individuals or organizations may be disqualified if they are based in a nation, state, province, or territory where U.S. or local law prohibits participating in the competition or receiving a prize. This includes individuals, who are residents of, and organizations domiciled in Brazil, China, Russia, Quebec, Cuba, Sudan, Iran, North Korea, Syria and any other country designated by the United States Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control.
- App developers that are part of GE's partner ecosystem are able to enter. This includes system integrators, service providers, application providers and OEMs, contractors, vendors and customers. Check out the Official Rules for more details.
- Ideas Round: Submit your Idea by March 21, 2017, at 5:00PM ET.
- Build Round: The 30 highest-scoring submitters from the Ideas Round will receive access to hackathon-only GE Brilliant Predix accounts to build their solutions.
Build Round participants should build a working software application that calls at least one of the APIs from at least one of the Brilliant Manufacturing Suite Products:
ROUND 1 SUBMISSION IDEA REQUIREMENTS
Your Idea Submission entered in the Ideas Round must include a written description of your idea for an application to provide deeper insight into the manufacturing process; how you would use GE Brilliant Manufacturing APIs to build out your application; how your app might help the employees or operations of a production plant; and the number of teammates, if any.
ROUND 2 SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Your Submission for the Build Round must include a working software application running on GE's Predix Platform that uses at least one (1) API from at least one of the Brilliant Manufacturing Products. The Brilliant Manufacturing Products include: Efficiency Analyzer (EA), Work in Progress Manager (WIP), and Enterprise Plant Insights (EPI or PPO).
New & Existing Solutions: Solutions may be newly created or pre-existing. If your solution existed before the challenge, you must have integrated at least one API from the Brilliant Manufacturing Products after the start of the challenge.
HOW TO ENTER
- Register for the GE Brilliant Hacks hackathon on Devpost.
- Visit the Resources page to learn more about the Brilliant Manufacturing APIs and common manufacturing problems.
- Find a teammate (optional). Do you have UX chops, but need someone who can code? Are you a genius coder, but need some design flair? Join our competition-only Slack channel.
- Submit your Idea by March 21, 2017 at 5:00PM ET to be considered for the Build Round.
- The 30 highest-scoring ideas will be given access to a private, hackathon-only Predix environment during the Build Round.
- Build your submission & shoot your demo screencast video.
- Provide Devpost access to your submission for judging and testing. Here's how to do that.
- Make sure your entry adheres to all the requirements and submit on BrilliantManufacturing.Devpost.com before 5pm ET on May 8, 2017.
Vice President Software Engineering, GE
Director of Product Marketing, Brilliant Manufacturing
Vice President, Information-Driven Manufacturing
Philip W Ryan
National Manager Innovation and R&D, Toyota North America
VP of Engineering, Predix Product Development
- Quality of the idea
Idea Round: Includes creativity and originality of the idea
- Potential Value to manufacturers
Idea Round: Includes the extent to which the Submission Idea could increase visibility of plant data, discover insights in customer operations, or drive optimizations in performance and efficiency
- Potential use of Brilliant Manufacturing Suite
Idea Round: Includes the extent to which the Submission Idea includes plans to use existing GE Brilliant Manufacturing data, services, and visualization components
- Feasibility of Implementation
Idea Round: Includes feasibility of implementing the Submission Idea during the challenge
- Quality of the Idea
Build Round: Includes creativity and originality of the idea
- Potential Value to manufacturers
Build Round: Includes the extent to which the Application increases visibility of plant data, discovers insights in customer operations, or drives optimizations in performance and efficiency
- Use of Brilliant Manufacturing Suite
Build Round: Includes the extent to which the Application uses existing GE Brilliant Manufacturing data, services, and visualization components
- Implementation, usability, and design of the Idea
Build Round: Includes how well the idea was executed by the developer, the user experience, and the look/feel of the application