27 July 2017

Gambia: Should a Soldier Be Detained Without Trial for More Than 72 Hours?

Photo: Twitter
President Adama Barrow

The answer to this question is in the negative. A soldier like any other Gambian has a right to be free from arbitrary detention. Section 19 of the Constitution states:

"Any person who is arrested or detained -

(a) for the purpose of bringing him or her before a court in execution of the order of a court; or

(b) upon reasonable suspicion of his or her having committed, or being about to commit, a criminal offence under the law of The Gambia, and who is not released, shall be brought without undue delay before a court and, in any event, within seventy-two hours."

This is very clear. It affirms that no one should be detained for more than 72 hours without being brought before a court for trial. We therefore hope that the authorities will not allow any soldier or civilian to be detained for more than 72 hours without being taken before a court.

More on This

Lieutenant Jammeh, Captain Jammeh Still Detained

A former adjutant of Gambia National Guard (GNG) Lieutenant Yaya Jammeh and Captain Jammeh are still detained by… Read more »

See What Everyone is Watching

Copyright © 2017 FOROYAA Newspaper. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 600 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.