Ibadan — Oyo State Governor Abiola Ajimobi has told the state High Court, sitting in Ibadan, that the Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba Saliu Adetunji, has no locus standi to challenge the review of Olubadan declaration done by his government.
The governor and 23 others had been dragged to the court by the monarch over the review of the declaration and installation of 21 new Obas in the town by the governor.
At the commencement of the case yesterday, Oba Adetunji, through his counsel, Alhaji Niyi Ajewole, said although the case was slated for mention, but he received a notice of preliminary objection from the counsel to the 13 Baales (12th to 24th defendants), Mr. Kunke Sobaloju.
Justice Olajumoke Aiki, therefore, fixed November 6, 2017 for hearing of the preliminary objections raised by the governor and others.
Besides, the case of preliminary objection and other matters filed by the Osi Olubadan, who is a former governor of the state, Chief Rashidi Ladoja, against Ajimobi and the Chairman of the Judicial Commission of Inquiry that reviewed the 1957 Olubadan Chieftaincy Declaration, Justice Akintunde Boade (rtd), also came up before Justice Aiki.
The suit was also adjourned to November 6, this year, following three applications filed by counsel to Ajimobi, Kunle Eleja (SAN) and counsel to Boade, Olubunmi Ogunniran, before the court.
Counsel to the claimant, Michael Lana, argued vehemently that the applications were nothing but delay tactics being employed by the defendants' counsel to unnecessarily prolong the matter.
The defendants' counsel said they were interested in the speedy hearing of the case, claiming that they have responded to the processes in the substantive case.
In another development, Oba Adetunji has said he has not committed any crime to warrant the alleged purported plan by Oyo State governor to depose him.
The monarch, while reacting to the governor's comment in the Presidential Villa, Abuja, that "the monarch erred but he would not depose him because Olubadan is his father," said he took exception to the governor's comment and asked him to make public his offences that warranted plan to depose him.
Oba Adetunji said nothing could be more embarrassing for him than his palace to be attacked by suspected gunmen during installation of some mogajis and baales and yet the assailants have not been arrested and made to face the full wrath of the law.
The monarch, who spoke through his spokesperson, Mr. Adeola Oloko, said: "Kabiyesi wanted the governor to tell the whole world his crime that justified anysurreptitious move to depose him. Kabiyesi is not a politician and he is not a registered member of any political party."