8 November 2017

Uganda: Karuma Power Project Nears Completion, Says Contractor

Photo: Tobbias Jolly Owiny/Daily Monitor
A woman holds her granddaughter, who was fathered by a Chinese national working at Karuma hydropower dam.

Sinohydro Corporation Ltd, the Chinese firm undertaking the construction of the 600MV Karuma power dam in Kiryandongo District, has revealed that the project is 70 per cent complete in accordance with the budget and time frame.

The construction firm also noted that "the progress is well controlled.

The project which commenced on December 16, 2013, is due for commissioning in December 2018.

While updating the State minister for Energy, Mr Simon D'Ujanga, on the progress of the work, during the commissioning of the construction of the permanent employers' camp at Karuma recently, the company's vice president, Mr Wang Yantao, said: "The hydropower which Uganda is blessed with is economical, environmentally friendly and will provide sustainable energy."

Mr Yantao added: "The Chinese government always supports and encourages Chinese enterprises and national institutions engaged in construction of hydro power to benefit Ugandans."

He revealed that the project now employs more than 5,000 workers including Uganda and Chinese nationals.

However, the LC1 chairman for Karuma, Mr Severino Opio, said residents are unhappy with government since they are being neglected.

"As I know the project is almost coming to an end but there is nothing being done for the community," he said.

Speaking at the same event, the Oyam District chairperson, Mr Nelson Adea Akar, said it would be fair for the constructor to employ residents as one way of making the community own the project.

"Our prayer is that if bad things are to come let the good things also happen. Right now there are complaints about young girls getting married to workers," he said.

The Uganda Electricity Generation Company Limited (UEGCL) chief executive officer, Eng Dr Harrison Mutikanga, explained that they had so many activities planned and their priority was to concentrate on the hydro power project.

"The hydro power project has progressed significantly and we are now embarking on the second stage which is the employers' facilities and next will be the community development action plan," he said.

Mr D'Ujanga, noted that for Uganda to shift from a peasantry to an industrialised and largely urban society, it must be propelled by electricity as a form of modern energy.

"The 600MW Karuma Hydro Power project is one of such big hydro power projects under construction and that once complete will provide reliable and affordable electricity to our people," the minister said.


Karuma power dam is being financed by both the government of Uganda and Exim Bank of China. The government of Uganda is contributing 15 per cent and while China is financing the other 85 per cent component.


Museveni Rejects Tax Procedures Act

President Museveni has returned the Tax Procedures Amendment Act, 2018 to Parliament and demanded that MPs delete a… Read more »

See What Everyone is Watching

Copyright © 2017 The Monitor. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 800 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.