A number of parents and students have been thrown into panic mood after the Education ministry suspended the issuing of letters by schools to students joining Form One next year, citing data challenges.
Students affected by the hitch are those joining extra county and county schools.
"This is to request you to ask all principals of county schools in your areas to hold back the selection lists released to them at regional launches, awaiting further direction on the county data that seems to have had a challenge," Basic Education director Robert Masese told regional coordinators of education and county directors of education.
He said the issue also affects the sub-county selection that was concluded on Monday across the country.
On Monday, a number of parents expressed their disappointment over their lack of information on the schools their children had been selected to join.
"County schools not ready. You shall access at latter date," reads a message on the Education ministry's website.
A total of 647,800 students will join 6,858 sub-county schools as the government moves to implement free day secondary education.
All Form One students selected to all categories of schools will report to their respective schools on January 9 and not later than January 12.
All the 10,738 candidates who scored 400 marks and above have been placed in national schools.