19 February 2018

Uganda: New Vision Journalist Etukuri Released

Photo: The Observer
Charles Etukuri, left, back in office after being released.

Kampala — A New Vision journalist reportedly abducted outside the Vision Group offices on First Street, Industrial Area last week, has been released.

The news of the crime reporter's release was broken by the Chief Executive Officer of Vision Group Robert Kabushenga in a tweet on Monday.

Kabushenga said that reporter Charles Etukuri had been dropped outside the company offices in Industrial Area, Kampala.

"Thank you all for your prayers. God has answered them. Our New Vision reporter Charles Etukuri has been released. He has just been dropped off outside our office," tweeted Kabushenga.

Etukuri, an investigative journalist with Saturday and Sunday Vision was reportedly abducted by four suspected security agents on Tuesday afternoon outside the media house's offices.

Thank you all for your prayers. God has answered them. Our .@newvisionwire reporter Charles Etukuri has been released. He has just been dropped off outside our office. 🙏🏿 -- Robert Kabushenga (@rkabushenga) February 19, 2018

Earlier, the High Court in Kampala had ordered Security Minister (Rtd) Lt.Gen Henry Tumukunde and the Director General of the Internal Security Organization (ISO) Col (rtd) Frank Bagyenda Kaka to produce Etukuri in court.

The habeas corpus order was issued Monday afternoon by Justice Lydia Mugambe on the request of Vision Group lawyer Tonny Kirabira.

Soon after journalist was picked up last week, Vision Group Editor in Chief Barbara Kaija did not hide the fact that they feared the abduction was related to a series of investigative reports Etukuri had worked on regarding the death of two foreign nationals in two separate five start hotels in Kampala.

In the report Etukuri made a link between the Internal Security Organisation and the murder of a Finland national, Tersvouri Toomajuha Petteri, 42, who died at Pearl of Africa Hotel on February 05, 2018 and the death of a Swedish national Alex Sebastian, 41, who also died in his room at Sheraton Hotel on February 06, 2018.

Investigations into the two deaths are however ongoing and Police Spokesman Emilian Kayima told journalists at the police head quarters on Monday that the two foreigners were poisoned.

The toxicology reports were released by the directorate of government analytical laboratory (DGAL) over the weekend according to Kayima.

More on This

Missing New Vision Journalist Charles Etukuri Released

Mr Charles Etukuri, a New Vision reporter who was reportedly abducted last Tuesday by unknown men in army camouflage as… Read more »

See What Everyone is Watching

Copyright © 2018 The Independent. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 600 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.