5 April 2018

Namibia: Congo Fever Outbreak Declared

Photo: Pixabay
(file photo).

THE health ministry yesterday declared Congo fever an outbreak after the death of a Keetmanshoop man at the Windhoek Central Hospital on Tuesday, and the hospitalisation of two others.

Health minister Bernard Haufiku confirmed the death of 37-year-old Hendrik Hartebees yesterday.

He said the case registered on Tuesday could be regarded as an outbreak, "according to the World Health Organisation guidelines".

Windhoek central hospital superintendent Dr David Uirab also confirmed the hospitalisation of two other people from Keetmanshoop and Gobabis at the institution.

Haufiku said Hartebees died at the Windhoek Central Hospital, where he was quarantined.

The deceased had assisted a neighbour to slaughter a cow "that was infested with ticks on 21 March 2018, and presented with symptoms on 27 March".

According to the health ministry, Congo fever is transmitted mainly through tick bites, handling or working with an infected animal's blood, and can also be transmitted from one infected person to another by contact with infectious blood or body fluids.

A person with Congo fever can have the sudden onset of high fever, headache, back and joint pain, abdominal pain and neck pain, among other symptoms.

Congo fever can be transmitted through tick bites or handling ticks with bare hands, and through direct contact with infected people or animal blood and organs, "including the slaughter of animals with ticks attached".

The latest case registered on Tuesday was the second Congo fever case recorded so far this year.

Another man was diagnosed with the symptoms of Congo fever at the Windhoek Central Hospital in February this year.

/Uirab yesterday said the patient from Gobabis was successfully treated, and had been discharged from the hospital. He added that people who had contact with the patient were also treated, and tested negative for symptoms of the disease.

The disease also killed a farmworker (26) from Gobabis, and an older man from Uukwandongo in the Okahao district in the Omusati region last year.

Haufiku said health experts had been deployed at Keetmanshoop, "tracing contacts", and that a rapid response team has been dispatched to the Keetmanshoop district to assess the situation in that area.

Officials from the veterinary services department of the agriculture ministry are also part of the response team.

More on This

Lonely Burial for Congo Fever Victim

HEALTH officials buried 37-year-old Keetmanshoop resident Hendrik Hartebees in Windhoek on Tuesday soon after he died of… Read more »

See What Everyone is Watching

Copyright © 2018 The Namibian. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 800 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.