20 April 2018

Nigeria: Kedco Loses N187 Million to Vandals Monthly

Kano — The Managing Director of Kano Electricity Distribution Company (KEDCO), Dr. Jamil Isyaku Gwamna on Wednesday lamented that out the N4bn worth of energy being transmitted to the company monthly, it could only recover N2bn revenue.

"We pay between N3.8 billion and N4 billion monthly as cost of the energy given to us but we only generate between N1.8 billion to N2 billion as revenue from customers."

Gwamna disclosed this on Wednesday in Kano at a stakeholders' engagement for Kano State traditional and religious leaders with the theme: 'Partnering for Improved Service Delivery', pointing out that the high rate of energy theft, vandalism and non-payment of electricity bills by some consumers in the threw states of Kano, Katsina and Jigawa.

He noted that 70 per cent of the revenue being generated came from industries while other customers hardly give the company the remaining 30 per cent.

According to him, the company has been running at a lost as a result of challenges in meeting the requirements of the consumers' demands in power supply that adversely affecting the activities of the company.

He called on traditional rulers and religious leaders in the state to assist the company in fighting the menace.

Furthermore, he said the company was able to settles N500m salaries of its 2,600 workers, adding that they recently lost N187 million to vandalism.

"The reason for this stakeholders meeting is to solicit for the support of traditional rulers and religious leaders in enlightening their subjects on the importance of paying their bills, protecting electricity installations and fight against energy theft as well as activities of vandals".

Responding, the Emir of Kano, Mallam Muhammad Sanusi II represented by Sarkin Dawakin Maituta Alhaji Bello Abubakar said the meeting was long overdue in view of the role of the traditional rulers in addressing the outlined challenges.

Sanusi promised that they will deliver the message to their respective subjects to ensure prompt payment of electricity bills and sensitise them on the need to take custody of electricity installations in their localities against vandalism and energy theft.

The monarch furthered called on districts heads across the states to give Maximum Corporation to KEDCO officials in the fight against vandalism and electricity theft.

Nigeria

I'm Considering Running for President, Saraki Says

The number of aspirants seeking to get the ticket of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is set to rise as Senate… Read more »

See What Everyone is Watching

Copyright © 2018 This Day. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 700 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.