The organizer of the Northern Cape u17 Solar Youth Cup, Willie Motlogelwa is over the moon following the inclusion of the tournament's player of the tournament and top goal-scorer Jerome Karelse into the South African u17 (Amajimbos) squad preparing for the COSAFA u17 championships in Mauritius.
Karelse has been included in the national u17 provisional squad of 32 players by coach Molefi Ntseki to be in camp for the championships that will take place in the Indian Ocean island from 19-29 July.
The squad will be trimmed to 20 players just before the team leaves for Mauritius on 15 July 2018.
Motlogelwa who brought together teams from Northern Cape's 5 Regions in a bid to unearth an abundant of talent in the vast Province said the selection of Karelse in the u17 squad will galvanise him and his partners to work even harder in having such tournaments in the area on regular occasions.
"The aim of the Northern Cape Solar Youth Cup was mainly to discover the talent in the Province and two weeks after we held the finals in Kimberley, one of the players is now in the national team.
"This is good for the Province, the Region Pixley-ka-Seme, the sponsors of the tournament and everyone involved," said Motlogelwa.
He said he expected many more players from the tournament to make it into the big leagues and thanked the sponsors for providing the youngsters with the opportunity to show their talent.
The Solar Youth Cup is sponsored by REISA, Kathu Solar, Lesedi Power Project, NC Dept of Sports, Arts and Culture, Sishen Solar Facility, LaLiga, EDS, Loago Sports SA in association with the South African Football Association.
Amajimbos have been drawn in Group B alongside Lesotho, Mozambique and defending champions Zambia.
South Africa will open their account with a clash against Lesotho on Friday, 20 July at 13h30, and a fixture against Mozambique will follow two days later (Sunday, 22 July) at 10h00 - and both matches will be played at Auguste Vollaire Stadium in Flacq.
For the final group stages, Amajimbos will travel to the capital Port Louis to play Zambia on Tuesday, 24 July at St Francois Xavier Stadium at 13h00.
PRELIMINARY AMAJIMBOS SQUAD FOR COSAFA CUP
1. CONSTI CHRISTODOULOU MARITZBURG UNITED KZN
2. THABANG MAEMA SCHOOL SPORTS GAUTENG
3. LEBOGANG NTHENE LOUIS BOTHA FREE STAGE
4. BONTLE MOLEFE KAIZER CHIEFS GAUTENG
5. BHONGO LAWANA SUPERSPORT UNITED GAUTENG
6. SPHIWE NKABINDE STARS OF AFRICA GAUTENG
7. BONGOLWETHU SIYASI AJAX CAPE TOWN CAPE TOWN
8. LEORANDO ROOI SCHOOL OF EXCELLENCE GAUTENG
9. KIERON JACKS SUPERSPORT UNITED GAUTENG
10. NELSON RALENKOANE NAVALSIG HIGH FREE STATE
11. ATHENKOSI MCABA BIDVEST WITS GAUTENG
12. BHEKI CELE ORLANDO PIRATES GAUTENG
13. BARRY SITHOLE SUPERSPORT UNITED LIMPOPO
14. VUSIMUZI PLAMANA FISH HOEK AFC CAPE TOWN
15. STORM JONAS BIDVEST WITS GAUTENG
16. THATO MATLI MAMELODI SUNDOWNS GAUTENG
17. SIYANDA NYANGA UNIVERSITY OF JHB GAUTENG
18. THABANI GUMEDE ORLANDO GUMEDE GAUTENG
19. DANTE BROWN AJAX CAPE TOWN CAPE TOWN
20. MOHAMMED SHAHABODIEN STARS OF AFRICA GAUTENG
21. AZOLA TSHOBENI ORLANDO PIRATES GAUTENG
22. BOIPELO MASHEGO UNTERHATCHING GERMANY
23. THANDO BUTHELEZI MAMELODI SUNDOWNS GAUTENG
24. LUNGELO MAKAMBI ORLANDO PIRATES GAUTENG
25. JEAN PIERRE AJAX CAPE TOWN CAPE TOWN
26. KATLEGO TSOTETSI SCHOOL OF EXCELLENCE GAUTENG
27. JAMES MCFARLANE KAIZER CHIEFS GAUTENG
28. JEROME KARELSE ORION HIGH SCHOOL NORTHERN CAPE
29. MOTLHALOSI NARE ALEX ACES GAUTENG
30. BOITUMELO RADIOPANE SCHOOL OF EXCELLENCE GAUTENG
31. OLEFILE RAMATLO MEADOWLANDS ACADEMY GAUTENG
32. MTHOKOZISI BALAKASI KAIZER CHIEFS GAUTENG
Read the original article on SAFA.
AllAfrica publishes around 600 reports a day from more than 150 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.
Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.
AllAfrica is a voice of, by and about Africa - aggregating, producing and distributing 600 news and information items daily from over 150 African news organizations and our own reporters to an African and global public. We operate from Cape Town, Dakar, Abuja, Monrovia, Nairobi and Washington DC.