12 July 2018

Nigeria: Death Toll in Sokoto Attacks 39 - Governor Tambuwal

Photo: Premium Times
Sokoto state on map

The death toll in recent attacks in Sokoto state has risen to 39, Gov. Aminu Tambuwal said Thursday.

Mr Tambuwal said more bodies had been recovered after 32 were buried.

The attacks occurred in Rabah Local Government Area of the state, the latest in a string of deadly attacks across northern states.

A senator, Adamu Aliero, on Thursday blamed the attack on "bandits".

Mr Tambuwal, who received five governors on a condolence visit, said such mass killing was happening in Sokoto for the first time.

"Currently, there are three Internally Displaced Persons camps comprising more than 10,000 people in the affected areas," he said.

According to him, security personnel have been mobilised for constant patrol of the areas.

Zamfara state's Gov. Abdulaziz Yari, who as chairman of the Nigerian Governors Forum led the condolence visit, said leaders will cooperate to check killings and destruction of properties around the country.

He described the incident as worrisome, noting that Sokoto State enjoyed relative peace in spite of the fact that it shares boundary with some areas experiencing problems in Zamfara.

Mr Yari said, "We were in Plateau 10 days ago and now in Sokoto for the same condolence, which signified that drastic measures were needed to stop this menace.

"As leaders, we must stand up to our responsibilities, being that most of us here are affected. We are losing loved ones, property and many being injured all over the affected places.

"We need to look inward because the crime is a chain that must be stamped out. As leaders, we must cooperate and evolve measures to tackle the situation."

Governor of Jigawa, Badaru Abubakar, led the gathering in prayer for the deceased and quick recovery for the injured.

Other governors in attendance were Aminu Masari (Katsina), Jibrilla Bindow (Adamawa), Abubakar Bello (Niger) and Kashim Shettima of Borno.

Sokoto State Deputy Governor, Ahmad Abdulkadir and Sadiq Achida, National Vice Chairman Northwest and Sokoto State Chairman of All Progressives Congress (APC) as well as APC chieftain, Umarun Kwabo, were also on the visit.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that hundreds of suspected gunmen on Tuesday invaded Gandi and Mabanni villages in Rabah local government of Sokoto State and killed many people, destroyed properties.

More on This

Gunmen Kill 32, Sack 6 Communities in Sokoto

No fewer than 32 persons have been confirmed dead after suspected gunmen displaced about six communities of Rabbah local… Read more »

See What Everyone is Watching

Copyright © 2018 Premium Times. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 600 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.