Kenya: Sonko Suspends City Official Over Structures on Riparian Land

14 August 2018

The hunt for officers who irregularly approved structures built on riparian has claimed its first victim in the Nairobi City County.

Governor Mike Sonko Tuesday suspended John Ojwang', a staff at the county's Urban Planning Department, for his role in the approval of buildings erected on riparian land.

The suspension follows preliminary investigations ordered by Governor Sonko to hold to account county staff responsible for the irregular approvals.

According to a statement sent to newsrooms by the governor's Director of Communications Elkana Jacob, it is alleged that Mr Ojwang' was responsible for granting permission for the construction of South End Mall along Lang'ata Road-Mbagathi Way junction, and Gem Suites in Riverside Estate.

However, the county government noted that most of the illegal approvals were done in the 1980s and 1990s mainly by staff who have since retired or left City Hall.

Mr Ojwang' was responsible for the authorisation of the two buildings mentioned above.

"Nairobi City County Government has today suspended John Ojwang', an employee in the Urban Planning Department for his role in the approval of buildings on riparian land," read the statement.

The officer has since been issued with a 14-day notice to show cause why disciplinary action should not be taken against him, including termination of his employment.

See What Everyone is Watching

More From: Nation

Don't Miss

AllAfrica publishes around 600 reports a day from more than 150 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.