FORMER minister of Law, Mootsi Lehata was this week remanded to 21 September 2018 when he appeared at the Maseru Magistrates' Court to answer to charges of rape.
Senior resident magistrate Phethisa Motanyane presided over the matter when Mr Lehata appeared before the court on Monday.
Mr Lehata is a member of former Prime Minister Pakalitha Mosisili's Democratic Congress (DC) party and he served as Minister of Law in the former seven parties' coalition which lasted from March 2015 to the 3 June 2017 national elections.
He was arrested on the 29th of June this year and spent that weekend at the Police Headquarters in Maseru on allegations of raping a 17-year-old orphan girl in Matsieng early this year.
The minor reportedly fell pregnant as a result of the rape which allegedly occurred in January this year.
The case was supposed to have been heard in court early last month but it could not proceed as the magistrates were on strike to press the government for salary increments and improved working conditions.
The case was finally heard on 10 June 2018, before Chief Magistrate 'Matankiso Nthunya who read the charge to the 48-year-old Mr Lehata and further released him on M500 bail on condition that he does not interfere with witnesses and police investigations.
"The said accused is charged with the crime of sexual offence in contravention of Section 52 (1) (2) (3) (e) read with Section 109 of Penal Code Act No.6/2010," Ms Nthunya said.
"Upon or about 19 January 2018 at or near Ha Moima Sehlabeng Sa Matsieng in the district of Maseru, the said accused did unlawfully and intentionally have sexual intercourse with the minor - a Mosotho female aged 17 without her consent."
The former Makhaleng legislator's case comes on the back of a national outcry against the escalation of rape and other forms of violence against women and children.
Sources close to the matter said that although the alleged offence was committed in January, the victim's relatives swept it under the carpet and it only came to light in March when some of the villagers in Matsieng began suspecting that the minor was pregnant.
"The victim confided in one of the women in Matsieng who blew the whistle on the alleged rape. It is not clear why the matter was never investigated until it was reported on the social media three weeks ago," one source said.
Another source said the rape allegation was only investigated after sustained pressure from the Minister of Social Development, 'Matebatso Doti.
"The minister (Ms Doti) has since made arrangements that the girl be taken to a secret location for her own protection and that of her unborn baby," another source said.
Read the original article on Lesotho Times.
AllAfrica publishes around 600 reports a day from more than 150 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.
Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.
AllAfrica is a voice of, by and about Africa - aggregating, producing and distributing 600 news and information items daily from over 150 African news organizations and our own reporters to an African and global public. We operate from Cape Town, Dakar, Abuja, Monrovia, Nairobi and Washington DC.