14 September 2018

Nigeria: We Lost 300 Persons to Attacks in Four Months, Says Berom Community

Jos — The Berom ethnic nationality of Plateau State has said that it lost nearly 300 women and children between June and September 2018 in Barkin-Ladi and Riyom local councils of Plateau State and called on the International community for urgent intervention.

In a joint statement signed by General Secretary of the Berom Educational and Cultural Organisation (BECO), Da Davou Choji; President of Berom Women Development Association (BEWDA), Ngo Florence Jambol and President of Berom Youth Moulders Association (BYM), Choji Chuwang, yesterday in Jos, decried the continuous killing of their people by suspected herdsmen.

"The Berom Nation has lost confidence in the ability of government to defend the rights of its citizens in the communities under attack by Fulani herdsmen. "So far, between June and September 2018, nearly 300 lives have been lost, 38,000 others displaced and property worth millions of naira destroyed with no tangible remedial action or programme in place by government at all levels.

"The call has become necessary given the failure of Federal Government, security agencies and the state government to uphold the basic tenants of justice." The community, which frowned at the sudden transfer of the then "Commander of the Special Task Force (STF), Maj.-Gen. Anthony Atolagbe, under very suspicious circumstances, having arrested 11 suspected killer herdsmen in connection with the massacre of June 24, 2018 where over 230 innocent lives were wasted, said: "We noted that the suspects were also transferred illegally from Jos to Abuja under security cover for so-called investigations from which nothing had been heard to date.

"Twenty-six suspects, arrested in Jos during the 2008 Jos crisis, were transferred to Abuja and that suddenly ended the whole matter." It said lack of prosecution of arrested attackers lent credence to injustice as well as a high level of collaboration against the Berom and indeed, other victims.

Nigeria

Competition, Hurdles for Local Airlines On London Route

Air travellers longing for Nigerian carriers on the London route may wait no further, as at least two operators are… Read more »

See What Everyone is Watching

Copyright © 2018 The Guardian. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 600 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.