A man accused of the murder of former ANC Youth League secretary general Sindiso Magaqa abandoned his bail application in the Umzimkhulu Magistrate's Court on Thursday.
Sibusiso Malusi Ncengwa, 30, appeared in a packed court under heavy police presence.
His lawyer, Sicelo Zungu, told Magistrate Khulile Mdladlamba that his client would no longer proceed with his bail application as it had been anticipated.
Mdladlamba adjourned the matter until October 25 for a provisional indictment.
Ncengwa will be held in custody until then.
Magaqa, 35, died at Albert Luthuli Hospital in Durban in September from gunshot wounds he had sustained during an ambush on July 13.
He was a ward councillor in Umzimkhulu, southern KwaZulu-Natal, at the time of his shooting.
Scores of ANC supporters sang struggle songs outside court. They were against Ncengwa being granted bail.
Magaqa's family spokesperson Lwazi Magaqa said they were happy about the arrest of the man.
"His arrest gives us hope. The questions that we have, including the motive for Sindiso's murder and who had sent the accused, will finally be answered," he said.
Umzimkhulu councillors Nonsikelelo Mafa and Jabu Mzizi-Msiya sustained gunshot wounds on the day of Magaqa's ambush.
Mafa said the accused was a familiar man in Umzimkhulu.
"We are happy that he abandoned bail, but what we would like him to do now is speak the truth. We would like to know who had sent him," she said.
Police Minister Bheki Cele attributed Ncengwa's arrest to a special task team he established two months ago in KwaZulu-Natal to investigate political killings.