11 October 2018

Uganda: Makerere Sued Over NSSF Contributions

Kampala — The National Social Security Fund (NSSF) has sued Makerere University for allegedly failing to remit its staff savings contributions to the pension fund as required by law.

In the suit filed in the High Court on October 3, NSSF is seeking declarations that the university is under statutory obligation to remit social security contributions for its employees to the Fund.

The NSSF says it's obliged by law to receive from every employer in Uganda 15 per cent of his/her gross salary to be credited to the individual account held by the Fund.

"The defendant (Makerere) is an educational institution providing employment to more than five persons and qualifies to be a contributing member within the ambit of the law," the suit reads in part.

The Fund contends that Makerere University violated the statutory obligations to the Fund by not remitting the standard monthly contributions of its employees.

"The defendant's action described above constitutes a breach at law for which the plaintiff has suffered loss and damage and the defendant is liable," NSSF further states in the suit.


The Funds avers that the university has ignored its repeated reminders to remit the workers' contributions.

Through their lawyers Kasirye Byaruhanga & Company Advocates, NSSF wants court to order Makerere University provide particulars of each of its employees regarding their gross wages and the total social security contributions due on such earnings.

They also want an order that the university pay all unremitted arrears of the contributions to date with the accrued interest and general damages from the date of judgment until payment in full plus costs of the case.


Pope Francis Won't Visit Uganda This Year

Pope Francis will not be coming to Uganda this year, the Office of the President has confirmed. The Roman Catholic… Read more »

See What Everyone is Watching

Copyright © 2018 The Monitor. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.