Three siblings died on Tuesday morning after fire gutted houses in Mukuru kwa Njenga, Nairobi on Tuesday morning.
Witnesses said their mother left the children, aged between 6 weeks and 3 years, unattended in the house around 7.30am when the fire started.
"She had gone to buy mandazi for breakfast and left tea boiling on a Kerosene stove boiling," Dominic Njuguna, who is the chairman of security affairs in the slum, said.
Neighbours could not get into the burning house because of raging flames. The flames spread quickly to other houses, destroying 20 of them.
The woman's husband had left for work when the incident happened.
The bodies of the victims were taken to the City Mortuary.