Kamuli — A 10-year-old girl has died after an ear pin she was playing with slipped and remained embedded in her ear for three days.
Charity Agwekyo, a daughter to Maureen Achai and Bernard Isooba of Busoigo Village in Kamuli, was on Monday allegedly playing with the ear pin which accidentally slipped into her ear.
Fearing to report the incident to her parents, she kept silent for three days while unsuccessfully trying to retrieve it with her friends in the neighbourhood.
However, on Wednesday, the ear pin was instead shoved further downwards, causing a swelling and pain before her parents rushed her to Premier Medical Centre in Kamuli for further management.
"We saw her ear swollen and upon inquiry, she revealed that on Monday she accidentally pushed an ear pin into her ear; we rushed her to Dr Fred Duku's clinic in Kamuli where she died," the mother said.
Dr Duku, the proprietor of Premier Medical Centre, said her case had been delayed and mismanaged at home and only brought to his attention when she had already contracted infection and sepsis.
"And as medical personnel were administering painkillers before retrieving the pin, she died. This was a 'tricky' case because it had already been mismanaged; but we tried our level best," Dr Duku explained.