Kenya: Woman Suffocates After Fridge Explodes in House, Children Escape

The scene of the house in which a woman suffocated to death in Mwanzo Estate, Eldoret, on January 09, 2019.
10 January 2019

A 45-year-old woman died on Wednesday night at Mwanzo Estate in Eldoret after inhaling smoke from a refrigerator that exploded in her house.

Police said they are investigating Susan Njoki's death, although preliminary investigations indicate she could have suffocated after smoke from the suspected explosion filled her house at night.

Her two children escaped through a window.

"We tried to get access to her house to rescue her but her main door was locked and there were heavy grills mounted on the door," said a neighbour.

She was sleeping in a different room from the children.

The neighbours said her room was engulfed in smoke.

One of the children is admitted to Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital.

Eldoret West Police boss Zachariah Bittok said that they have launched investigation into the incident.

Her body was taken to Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital mortuary awaiting postmortem.

Tagged:

See What Everyone is Watching

More From: Nairobi News

Don't Miss

AllAfrica publishes around 600 reports a day from more than 150 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.