Kenya: Police Bar Politicians From Visiting Dusit Hotel Attack Scene

Police rescue people from the Dusit hotel complex on January 15, 2019 following an attack by suspected terrorists.
16 January 2019

Police have warned politicians and the public from accessing Dusit D2 Hotel and the area around 14 Riverside Drive that was the scene of a bomb attack on Tuesday.

Police have said the area is considered an active crime scene with limited access.

The caution comes hours after Internal Security Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang'i confirmed that security agencies had secured all the buildings at the scene of the attack.

Dr Matiang'i said security teams had also evacuated scores of Kenyans and other nationalities from the buildings.

"We wish to caution all members of the public including politicians that Dusit Hotel and the area around 14 Riverside Drive is a Crime Scene that is under an active security operation. Until it is declared safe, everyone not actively involved in the operation should avoid the area," NPS tweeted.

We wish to caution all members of the public including politicians that Dusit Hotel and the area around 14 Riverside Drive is a Crime Scene that is under an active security operation.Until it is declared safe, everyone not actively involved in the operation should avoid the area.

- National Police Service-Kenya (@NPSOfficial_KE) January 16, 2019

Former Kakamega Senator Boni Khalwale has been at the scene waiting for his daughter's evacuation.

Am on the scene of the terrorist attack in Chiromo. My daughter is trapped in the building under attack!

- Boni Khalwale (@KBonimtetezi) January 15, 2019

Mr Khalwale tweeted that his daughter is still trapped in one of the building. The sons of ANC leader Musalia Mudavadi, Vihiga Women's Representative Beatrice Adagala had been evacuated.

At 3am Khalwale's daughter was also rescued.

The government has also appealed to Kenyans not to share pictures from the suspected terror attack at the Dusit D2 complex in Nairobi.

In a tweet, State House said sharing of clips or pictures via various social media platforms "aids those behind such atrocities."

In a subsequent news conference, Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinnet encouraged members of the public "to flag such disturbing images or information in order to bring them to the attention of necessary authorities."

"We wish to urge everyone not to share, forward, retweet, these disturbing information or images as doing so will only abet the aims of the enemy."

See What Everyone is Watching

More From: Nairobi News

Don't Miss

AllAfrica publishes around 700 reports a day from more than 140 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.