Police are investigating the case of a 23-year-old who surrendered at Nakuru Central Police Station, claiming to be an Al-Shabaab militant.
County police boss Samuel Obara told reporters on Monday that the man went to the station on Sunday evening.
"He turned up unarmed," Mr Obara said, adding he was questioned immediately at the office of the Director of Criminal Investigations in Nakuru.
A senior detective, who did not want to be named, told the Nation that the man said he escaped from an Al-Shabaab training camp at Bombolulu in Mombasa County and that he had been fearing for his life.
He told police he joined the terror group in September 2018 and had been trained for five months.
Anti-Terror police unit from Eldoret, Uasin Gishu County, were also called to question the suspect.
The man surrendered five days after the Al-Shabaab attack at the dusitD2 office complex on 14 Riverside Drive in Nairobi, that left 21 dead.
Additional reporting by Winfrey Owino
Read the original article on Nation.
AllAfrica publishes around 600 reports a day from more than 150 news organizations and over 500 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.
Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.
AllAfrica is a voice of, by and about Africa - aggregating, producing and distributing 600 news and information items daily from over 150 African news organizations and our own reporters to an African and global public. We operate from Cape Town, Dakar, Abuja, Monrovia, Nairobi and Washington DC.